Monday 29 September 2014

1a. Professional Profile

Where to start?? Well I thought I would draw a diagram to help me include the main points.....



As I mentioned I have been dancing from the age of three and I went to my local dance school "Renton Dance Studio" where I owe a lot to the amazing teachers there for training me and preparing me for a future in dance.

I then studied  Musical Theatre for three years at Performers College in Essex, where I graduated with a National Diploma in Musical Theatre.  My three years at Performers were both physically and emotionally challenging and a knee injury in my second year made that year even tougher, however I believe my time here made me a stronger person because of this.

After graduating, my first job as a professional dancer was at Potters Leisure Resort, where we performed in a variety of different shows alongside the 2012 winner of "The Voice" Leanne Mitchell as our lead singer.  After dance college my self esteem was very low after not being "a favourite" (as you get in all colleges) and not getting many opportunities so I will always be extremely grateful to the directors at Potters Leisure Resort for believing in me and giving that opportunity I had wanted for so long, which brought my confidence and love of performing back!

In 2012 I then performed in a show over the christmas period called "Christmas in New York" with Impact Artists, where I also got the opportunity to choreograph some of the numbers

I then got to travel to Malta and perform with their "Eurovision" entry for 2013 Kurt Calleja. This experience was incredible and I loved every minute of it!

I came back and worked for a company called "Ultim8 Productions" with whom I have performed in various shows with.  I played "Dora" in "Dora's dance party" and performed as a backing dancing for many tribute shows including Olly Murs, Michael Buble and Robbie Williams.
This company also gave me the opportinty to go to Cyprus and perform in shows out there all over the island as well as perform on "The Wave Dancer" which was a Cypriot boat show.

This year I have performed in a show called "Viva" with Mountain Entertainment, which is a variety show including many different dance styles such as show girl, Irish, commercial, Bhangra, Can can, Jazz and many more.  So that was useful as I got to learn new styles as well as brush up on some older ones which I hadn't done since leaving college.

I was also a dancer at EDC festival this year where they had acts such as Calvin Harris, Avicii and Steve Aoki.  This was also an amazing experience as there were so many people watching and got the privilege to dance with so many incredible artists.

Currently I am part of a Bollywood Company, which was something very different for me as I had never experienced this style of dance before!  However I am really enjoying it and we have performed at many amazing venues including "The Royal Festival Hall" and just recently been to Barcelona.  We are also heading to Luxembourg in a couple of weeks.

At the moment performing is what I want to be doing, however in between performing I teach workshops and summer schools for children which are called "Dance in a day" and "Musical in a week" and I have also choreographed a production of West Side Story at the Grove Theatre in Dunstable.  Whilst at Performers college, I achieved my F.D.I exams in Tap and Modern, which has helped me a lot when it comes to teaching jobs so I am very glad I did them.

Also in between performing I have joined a couple of extras agencies where I have appeared in a few TV programmes such as "Babylon", "The C word" with Sheridan Smith and "The Grand National Ident" for 2014.

I have always found it awkward answering the question " So what have you done since you graduated?" as I feel people are only interested if you have a job on the West End, but writing it all out like this makes me realise I have been very lucky to experience what I have done and hope I can add to this list in the future!

I also want to take this BAPP course to broaden my career paths as I realise a dance career is a short one....well in performing anyway! Whether I will use it in to get further qualifications in this industry or another who knows? I will just have to see where the future takes me!




All of what I have written is an expanded version of my CV which you can see to the left.  I'm sure employers are very grateful they get the short and to the point version of every ones careers to look at!!









Sian x



No comments:

Post a Comment