Wednesday 5 November 2014

3a. Current Networks

                                                                                               
In the performing industry the word "Networking" comes up a lot!  I feel it plays a key part in furthering our careers and helping us to obtain a job.

So what is networking?

According to the Oxford Dictionary online, there are many definitions of networking and these can be seen below:

  • An arrangement or intersecting horizontal and vertical lines.
  • A group or system of interconnected people or things.
  • A complex system of railways, roads or other routes.
  • A group of people who exchange information and contacts for professional or social purposes.
  • A group of broadcasting stations that connect for the simultaneous broadcast of a programme.
  • A number of interconnected computers, machines or operations.


All definitions mention or imply the word "connect" and the definition relating to what I am about to write about is "A group of people who exchange information and contacts for professional or social purposes".  Therefore, in this instance it is when people connect with each other in order to exchange information about the industry and in this task I will explore the many different ways in which these people can connect.                                                                         

What are the current and different ways (tools) that you have, or do, engage your professional network?


  • I feel the Internet plays a major part in networking today because of all the social media sites that you can access from it.  I discussed a lot of these social network sites in my Web 2.0 Task, however I feel the main one I use is Facebook.  I feel Facebook is an easy way of finding people I want to get in contact with.  This is why we should be careful what information we are displaying as "public", as anyone on Facebook can see it if they were to search for you.  A lot of people have two different Facebook accounts and this is so that they can keep their personal life separate from their professional life.  I also use Facebook to look at the group pages where performers can post information about auditions and companies and this is a very useful way of getting to speak to people who have the same interest as I do.  On Facebook we can also see what "mutual friends" we have with someone else and I often meet a new person from a job and later go to add them on Facebook and see they know a lot of the same people I also know.  It just goes to show even though there are so many performers in this industry, it is still very small and everyone seems to know everyone.  This is why you should always remain professional, as one day the way you behave towards someone could go against you.


  • I also use the internet to use YouTube. I use YouTube to promote myself visually as people can access links to my show reel.  You Tube is also another website where we have to be careful about what is posted under our name, as once it is on the internet it is no longer private.  Also people will be able to get more of a sense of your personality by watching a video clip than they would from reading your CV on a piece of paper.
  • I find one of the best ways to network is face to face.  I have often met someone new through a job and got into conversation with them and they have informed me about something I should look into or somebody I should contact who they know or have previously worked with.  
  • I have a close group of friends whom I used to go to Performers College with and some who I have met through professional dance jobs and we always tell each other about any information we find about auditions or anything to do with the performing industry (even if it is just some gossip).  I know a lot of people in this industry are fake and out for themselves, so I am grateful I have people I can trust.
  • By going to class I also get to meet a lot of people who have worked in different areas of the industry and this is a good way to talk to them about what they do.  It is also a good way to get our faces seen by choreographers and teachers who take the classes.  They are always looking for new dancers to work with and they are more likely to use someone who they have seen in person rather than someone they have taken a chance on with a CV.  Also, I feel a class environment is a lot more relaxed and informal than an audition environment, so people are more likely to see what I am capable of, as nerves won't get the better of me.  


What are the established (and different) ways that others use their networks, especially if they are more established or experienced practitioners that you admire?


  • I know a lot of my friends use Twitter.  I have never had a Twitter account myself, as for a personal use it doesn't really appeal to me.  I feel it causes a lot of controversy as people can say things in the heat of the moment. However, I can understand why it is beneficial professionally if used the right way.  A lot of practitioners and celebrities use it and it can be a good way to find out about classes and auditions.
  • A lot of established performers pay to be on Spotlight to find out about auditions, however it is also a good way for employers to search for performers they might want to employ or invite to an audition.  This is the same for the webpages Talent Cast, Dancers Pro and Star Now, as employers can also look through performers profiles in order to invite them to an audition.
  • Established choreographers used to come into college and take workshops and as I mentioned above, this is a good way for them to see the talent the colleges are producing and whether they would be suitable for working with them.  
  • Facebook allows us to create our own business groups as well as personal ones and I feel one of the main reasons it is so popular is because it is a free way to advertise. A lot of established companies, like my old dance school, have their own Facebook group where they post news about classes and competitions and it is an easy way for the teachers to contact the students and parents together, instead of sending out individual messages.  They also post videos and photographs on the page from rehearsals and classes, which is a good way to advertise the school and for potential newcomers to see the standard of the students.


Are there methods, approaches and technologies that you use socially that might apply and help you develop your professional networking?

Socially, I prefer seeing people in person or speaking on the phone, as it feels more personal.  I have also been in situations before where something I have written in a text or email has been read in the wrong tone and this has then been taken in the wrong context.  Therefore, in an ideal world it would be good to speak to employers over the phone and they would be able to get a sense of our personalities.  However, I feel professionally this is a very informal and forward way of contacting someone whom I have never met before.  

Having said the above, I do normally contact employers I don't know through email for the first time, as I feel it is more formal and they will always have your information to look back over in case they need to recall any of it.

Another good way to contact people you are more familiar with is by Skype.  This way you can talk as if you were there in person and like a phone call they will get a sense of who you are, rather than reading about you from a piece of paper. 

I recently tried out a Google Hangout session with Paula and two other B.A.P.P students.  This was interesting as I had never experienced a group chat before.  I will continue to use Google Hangouts now, as it is a good way for more than two people to communicate with each other at the same time.


When you reflect upon current networks, can you think about the motives of others to be in the network and what values and purpose they have in mind?

As I have already mentioned, I am extremely lucky to have a group of friends in the industry whom I can trust and that help each other out and I know their intentions are good as we are always pleased when one of us secures a job.  This is because we are genuine friends so care about each other on a personal level too.  However, I have also met some people at classes and auditions who aren't as kind.  I know it is a cut throat industry and a lot of people are out for themselves, however the famous saying "Always be nice to people on the way up, because you never know who you might meet on the way down" is very true.  Also some people I know are very quick to ask about audition information, however never want to tell others about auditions they have heard about. I feel this is because they don't have a personal connection with me so why would they care?


What would your ideal network look like and why?

I think my ideal network would be to create my own Facebook group where I have selected people on there.  I would add all my close friends, so they could post information about classes and auditions.  By adding them to the group, I know their information will be helpful and correct as they are wanting us all to do well.  I would also have established choreographers and casting directors on there in order to hear about their auditions, which might not be as easily accessible and to get tips from their perspective.


What realistic things could you do to work towards developing your ideal network?

Firstly I would need to create a Facebook page and add all the people I wanted to the group.  After adding the initial people they could then suggest people who they have met who could help the group and then I could add them.  As regards to the choreographers and casting directors, I could start by adding the ones I have previously worked with and hopefully they might lead me to others they know.


What tools and methods do you need to use?  What do you know about your current, and intended networks, and importantly, what do you not know?

I will continue to use Facebook for networking as I am familiar with the layout and already have contacts on there.  Facebook is a good way of networking as it allows me to write posts, post photos and videos and links to other things.  It also allows me to customise the information, so you can set certain things to private if you wish to and only allow certain people to see certain things.  However, you can't see who is viewing your page and I feel that would be good to introduce.  I know someone who recently had her photos on Facebook copied and someone else was pretending to be her under another name.  This is why you have to be careful about the information you are posting on there and what you chose to set to public and private, because you don't know who can see it and who can copy it.  This could also apply to choreography that might be posted on there, as it could be easily copied and then the choreographer might not get the recognition they deserve.

My friendship group in the industry is very established and I will obviously continue to speak to them most days, however I realise I need to get back into going to more classes in order to be introduced to more people whom I haven't met before and different choreographers.  


Conclusion

A lot of our industry is based around "right place, right time" and I feel this is true.  We should always be talkative and approachable to people, even if at first we don't recognise them from our industry.  I have often been on a train and got speaking to someone I have never met and it turns out they have a job connected to our industry in some way, whether it be a choreographer, events manager, singing teacher or Assistant Director on a TV series.  They might not be able to help us directly, however they may have the contacts of someone who can.  

I will continue to network throughout my career, however this task has made me want to broaden my networking opportunities by exploring the methods and social media sites I have never used before such as Twitter, Flickr, LinkedIn etc. and see whom they might connect me to.  


2 comments:

  1. In the movie "He'd Just Not That Into You' (2009) (I have taken credits below form the IMDB site) there is a one about there used to be one phone and one phone messaging machine for people to find out if they had dates. A bit dated now because many have not grown up with landlines - just mobiles - and the web and computers have replaced many older technologies. I would agree a professional attitude is now required at all times - maybe it always was - but I wonder about the energy and time it requires. I sometimes start sites and find that time does not make it easy to keep up with some of the discussions - so maybe I am on too many? Your summary of your connections is a positive one - perhaps a strategy for social media will build on these in a structured way - and as you say - the 'luck' part is finding out where others are having the conversations.
    Directed by
    Ken Kwapis Writing Credits (WGA)
    Abby Kohn ... (written by) &
    Marc Silverstein ... (written by)

    Greg Behrendt ... (book "He's Just Not That Into You: The No-Excuses Truth to Understanding Guys") and
    Liz Tuccillo ... (book "He's Just Not That Into You: The No-Excuses Truth to Understanding Guys")

    ReplyDelete
  2. As I am no longer performing my focus of networking was on my present career as a dance teacher. Blogs like yours help to remind me of other networks that are available. Many of these may not necessarily be relevant to me now but they may be useful for future students of mine. Therefore I think it is important to look at the types of networking that are current and the uses they can offer different fields of work.

    You mentioned the likes of Talent Cast, Star Now, Dancers Pro and Starlight. All of which I am certainly familiar with but don't always offer the ability to network. A lot of these sites will simply post up the audition and you simply apply and receive the details, whilst others will be a direct advertisement to an audition without the need to communicate to anyone else. Therefore I question whether these would be a form of networking or just advertisement to encourage maximum participation?

    ReplyDelete