Thursday 16 April 2015

6c. Proposed Award Title

I looked at the list of Award Titles from the form given to us and found it hard to pin point one.  As a performer in the industry, I find it is hard to categorise myself into one specific category as I have worked in both Dance and Musical Theatre roles, as well as teaching Dance and Musical Theatre workshops.  

I don't want to be limited to one discipline so I have chosen my own proposed Award Title and merged a couple together, which I feel is more suited to me as a performer:

BA (Hons) Professional Practice (Professional Dance and Musical Theatre)

I have written a draft for my Award Title form and this can be seen below.

I would love to know your thoughts :) x

I have chosen the proposed title above because for the last four years, since I graduated from Performers College, Essex, I have been employed predominately as a professional dancer.  Therefore, I feel I have considerable experience and knowledge in this field.

However, I don’t want to limit myself to work just relating to Dance in the industry as my Trinity National Diploma was in Professional Musical Theatre.  Although I studied on the Musical Theatre course, a large part of the course was covering many different Dance disciplines, as well as singing and acting.  I still attend both Dance and Musical Theatre auditions, as my dream job is to be part of a West End or touring Musical Theatre show.

Alongside performing and auditioning I also teach Dance and Musical Theatre workshops and hope to focus more on this aspect of the industry when performing is no longer a suitable option for me.  My ambition for the distant future is to own and teach in my own Dance school, where I wish to teach all Dance disciplines alongside Musical Theatre and acting.  I have found many employers look for “triple threats” in the industry today and this will prepare the students in the best way possible if they want to continue performing and later attend auditions.

I am focusing my Inquiry topic on Dance because I am currently working for dance companies, however I feel a lot of the findings will still apply to Musical Theatre performers, as there is always a Dance round within Musical Theatre auditions.
Therefore, I will carry out my Inquiry to give me the best opportunity possible of being successful in both of these fields, hopefully securing me more work in the future and I feel my Award title will compliment this.

No comments:

Post a Comment