Monday 16 November 2015

A Conversation with Professional externals to the BAPP Arts Network

I have recently conducted my interviews for my Inquiry with my Employers and with other Freelance Dancers.  However, I have found it hard to organise a Focus Group as I have struggled to find a time that suits all participants.  Therefore,  I am hoping to arrange something this week.

The interviews I have carried out have been extremely interesting and the findings will be very useful when evaluating and analysing them for my Inquiry.  I was struggling to differentiate between the meanings of evaluating and analysing however the blog posted by Lizzie Martin was helpful as it explains what was discussed during a Skype chat with Paula, which I unfortunately couldn't attend.

I have also had an informal chat with a Casting Director over Skype, which I found very valuable in moving forward with my Inquiry.  He spoke about the criteria Casting Directors follow when auditioning and casting for jobs, which has made me think about how I can improve my own practice and what areas I need more work on.

I wanted to interview both fellow Freelance Dancers and Employers, as I want to compare their answers.  It has already been interesting to see what areas the Freelance Dancers and Employers opinions are similar and where they differ.  

Similar to the Casting Director, the answers from the Employers have given me food for thought on how I can market myself more effectively as a Freelance Dancer and what I should work on in order to secure work.  By interviewing fellow Freelance Dancers I am able to find out where they source their information for auditions and what they do in preparation for auditions and also how they remain professional in the industry.

All the findings from these interviews will work collaboratively with the literature I have researched and help me to have a better understanding of the industry and will also give me the contents for my professional artefact.  By using these findings I will be aiming to target and help other Freelance Dancers to understand what is being expected of them and what we can apply to our own practice, which will in turn help us to secure further work and remain professional in the industry.        

No comments:

Post a Comment