Friday 27 March 2015

5d. Ethical Dimensions of My Proposed Inquiry.

I listed the ethical considerations for my proposed Inquiry in the previous blog.  I had started to write down ideas and answers to these questions in my journal for the previous Inquiry topic I wanted to explore, however I felt I was quite limited with my participants. I have now answered these questions with my new Inquiry topic and would now like to share them with you all, so they can be discussed.  I will post the link from this blog post into my S.I.G, so we can discuss these ethical dimensions further.

What is the motivation behind the Inquiry?

I feel this Inquiry topic will be very beneficial to me as it will allow me to explore what employers look for in a dancer in order to want to employ them. I thought it would be useful to use the knowledge and experience of my current employers to get an insight into their thoughts and opinions and then I can apply this knowledge when later returning to auditions, in the hope it might increase my chances of being successful.  Eventually, I would like to teach dance, so I feel this knowledge will be very useful when preparing my students for their auditions.

Does the Inquirer want to bring about a social good?

The knowledge from the exploration of my Inquiry will not only benefit me, but I will make sure it benefits other performers when choosing how to present my artefact.  It will also benefit many of my students, when I have stopped performing and wish to teach. Therefore, I feel by researching this topic, it would help a vast number of performers as well as myself.  


Who stands to benefit most from the research?

At present, I will benefit from the research as I will constantly be returning to auditions once contracts have finished and most dance contracts tend to be short.  I can then pass on my knowledge to the students I will eventually be teaching in the future, which will in turn benefit them.  However, I still feel I would also be benefiting in this situation as it will help me know what to focus on in my classes in order to get them prepared for their auditions, which in turn will hopefully make me a better teacher. 


Who are the participants (role, experience, age)?

I would like to interview my current employers to get their views and opinions and I would also like to contact a casting director for a show I would like to perform in.  I would also like to involve my fellow dance company members, who are approximately the same age as me and are also professionals.  It would also be interesting to involve current students who are just about to enter the dance industry.


How have you chosen these participants?

I wanted to involve my work community at the moment, in a way it will also help me in the future.  I can also speak to them easily as I see them on a regular basis.  Therefore, my employers were the first people I thought of when I wanted to explore this question, as were my fellow company members.  I have not yet tried to contact a casting director as I have not had my ethics form signed, however once I have I will be trying to contact one I have in mind.  (I have not stated who in case they wish for their opinions and responses to be kept anonymous).  I would like to contact students from the dance college I used to attend as I have easy access to the college and I feel the college is more likely to allow me to use their students if they are familiar with me. 


Why were these participants chosen?

I would like to interview my current employers as I will get an insight into what physical and psychological traits they look for in a dancer.  I feel by interviewing someone I know and work with will benefit me, as it will feel more relaxed and they might feel they can open up to me in more detail as we already work together.  I would like to interview a casting director of a show I would like to be in, as this will enable me to take on board their views and opinions and work to prepare for the audition.  I feel it would be interesting to get the opinions of both professional dancers and students just about to attend auditions, to see  what they think employers look for and then compare their expectations to those of the employer. 


How will you contact them?  Will you need to talk to Gatekeepers to do this?

I will ask my employers and fellow dance members of the company in person, as I see them on a regular basis. However, with the students I don't see, I will need to contact the college with a formal letter or email to see if it would be possible to use a selection of their third year students, who will be graduating in a few months.  I will also have to contact the casting director in the same way.  I feel a formal email will probably be more efficient, as it is quicker and easier to make contact.  As all the participants will be over 16, I won't need to talk to many Gatekeepers.  However, the casting director might be very busy and have a Gatekeeper who deals with requests, but I will find that out once I have had permission to contact them.      


How will you make sure that your participants can leave the Inquiry if they desire to do so?

I will inform the participants that they can leave the Inquiry when they wish, before asking any questions and carry out any of the gathering data process.  I will also inform them of what their data will be used for so they know exactly why they are answering the questions asked.  I will also tell them they don't have to answer any questions they feel uncomfortable with at any point.  I will make sure all participants feel at ease and not pressured at all.  They will also be told their data will be anonymous.  


Do the participants have your contact details?

Yes, I will make sure the participants have my contact details so they can inform me if they aren't happy with carrying on with the Inquiry.  They would also have my details from when I originally contacted them and my current employers and dance associates already have my contact details.


Are you storing the participants data safely?

Yes, if the data is a hard copy, then I will make sure I keep their data secured in a locked filing cabinet and will continue to put all future data in there too.  If the data is in a digital format, I will be putting it into a folder on my laptop which only I will be able to access, as a password will be needed to access the account.  However, I will also be trying to print off most of the data in digital format in order to obtain a hard copy of it, in case anything happens to my laptop and I lose the data.  Therefore, I will also be storing this in the locked filing cabinet.


I also mentioned previously that I will:

  • Stay neutral and not influence any of the participants answers.
  • Represent views and opinions even if they go against my own.
  • Use the correct citation where it is necessary, so I don't pass off the work as my own.
  • Make sure I get the Ethics form signed before contacting any of the participants and gathering any data from them.
  • Make sure my current Employer is aware of why I would like to use their knowledge, support and opinions for my Inquiry, before they sign the Employer Support form.
  • Make sure all questions asked are relevant and won't make the participants feel uncomfortable.
  • Make sure they are aware that all data will be confidential and anonymous.

At the moment, I am in the process of drafting my Ethics Form and once I have discussed my new topic in further detail with my fellow B.A.P.P course students and Paula, to make sure this topic will be appropriate, I will get the Employer Support Form signed by one of my current employers.

1 comment: