Friday 27 March 2015

Update...

So after a lot of thinking, mind mapping and speaking with Paula this week, I have decided my original Inquiry topic on the effects of rejection on a dancer wasn't personal enough to me.  Even though I have experienced rejection many times through out my career, as have many other dancers, I wanted to focus on something a bit more positive and relevant to my work at the moment and for the future.  I am lucky enough to be working for a couple of different companies at the moment, one focusing on bollywood dance and another company focusing on tribute shows around the UK and also shows within care homes.  I would like to incorporate these employers within my Inquiry and fellow company members in order to further my knowledge on a particular element of the industry.

I have always been interested at looking into the "audition" aspect of the industry, as we are forever going to auditions in order to get our next job.  However, I thought it would be interesting to have an insight into what employers look for in order to employ a dancer, whilst I am working along side them and can obtain this knowledge.

Therefore, the new topic I would like to explore for my Inquiry is along the lines of:

"What makes a dancer employable?"

I'm still not 100 percent sure how to word the Inquiry question, but I think once I have researched this area more thoroughly, it will hopefully lead me to a question I am happy with. 

By exploring this, I feel it will help me in my career as I can apply the findings to myself and make sure I prepare myself in the correct way for future auditions.   Also, I eventually wish to teach dance and I feel this knowledge would also be useful in order to prepare my students for auditions as I would be aware of what employers are looking for in auditions.

I would love to hear your thoughts on this new Inquiry topic.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks Sian - finally commenting about the discussion - you have expressed it well - I think this inquiry area gives you more scope and you sound like you have access to some good sources of information for this aspect of professional dancers' work - keep in there - sounds like you are interested in sustainability - maintaining an active career - and preparing for freelancers

    ReplyDelete