Wednesday 8 October 2014

1d. 2d Images


It is amazing how we can capture a particular moment and make it last forever!  I can remember when I used to get excited going to pick up my photos from being developed only to find they were all dark from having my finger over the flash or something and being so disappointed that I would never get those photos again!  However, now we can instantly look at the photo and delete it if we don't like it until we get one we do like!

I have taken lots of photos throughout my dance career so far and I love looking back at them now and again to remind you of all the good memories and people you shared those times with.  Accounts such as Instagram, Facebook and Flickr are a good way to share photos instantly!    




I have had a Facebook account for years, however I have never had Instagram or Flickr as I have always thought photos are personal to me and I didn't think any one else would be interested in seeing my photos.  However, I have just created an account for both of them.  I have to admit I am still trying to get the hang of it and haven't used it much yet but here is the link to my Flickr account where I have posted on a few photos from some of my shows.......         
           
                                                                                         
https://www.flickr.com/photos/127727595@N02/ 



As good as these accounts are, they also have disadvantages.  The internet is a wonderful, yet scary thing and once a photo or piece of information has gone on there it is no longer private. This worries me as I am sure there are photos of me online that I don't even know about.  In professional cases the photographer should  always ask permission before publishing a photo of that person, however even though we often give permission we rarely actually see the photos they are going to use and let's face it, an action shot is never flattering!

There is also the issue of copyright.  Photos can be copied so easily with the technology we now have and once something is on the web anyone can see it.  It is not only the fact that the photographer gets credit for his work but also for personal safety for the person in the photo and this is why we need permission to publish photos and especially with children!  When I teach the workshops I do with children we have to get the parents to sign a photo release form in order for the parents to be able to film the show at the end of the day and for us to be able to use any of the material taken from the workshop for advertising purposes  However, if one parent refuses to sign the form then there is to be NO photography or filming allowed at all from us or the parents! 




In our industry, photos are used a lot for advertising, as a photo is more likely to draw attention than a page full of writing.  We need to use photos to advertise shows and ourselves as artists, however along with photos comes Photoshop......!!




Photoshop has been a life saver in some cases!!  However, it can also hinder us in our profession.  I know many people who have had their headshots and portfolio pictures "touched up" on Photoshop  A small touch up here and there is fine to hide the odd blemish but people can get carried away and the photo can end up looking completely different to what they actually look like.  This becomes a problem in auditions when casting directors ask to see you as your headshot and portfolio pictures fit the image they are looking for and you turn up and you look nothing like your photos!  This is a case of "false advertising" and you will waste your time and theirs!

Images are very useful in our industry and I will continue to use them, however you must be careful and be wise in the way in which you use them otherwise it can lead to serious consequences!









2 comments:

  1. I think you make a great point about photoshop. It is overused in the media today (magazines etc) and it can makes people aspire to look like a picture that wasn't real in the first place!
    Our profession is a visual art so I understand that we want to look good in our headshots! Covering a spot that arrived the morning of a shoot makes sense but everyone is different and should embrace their differences not alter pictures to portray an unrealistic view of themselves. I think it is terrible that people think that they have to in our industry. Embrace your differences! Variety is the spice of life right?!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Recently I have been really looking in depth into image vs talent in our industry. Like you say our profession is a visual art and of course we want to look as good as we possibly can, but they could be letting some very talented dancers slip away because the employer doesn't like they way they look. Someone I know recently went to see "Wicked" and they were saying it was so refreshing to see a variety in height, age and size in the cast, which I agree with, instead of the casts looking like clones of one another.

    ReplyDelete