Monday 20 October 2014

2a. Reflective Practice


When I was younger I used to keep a diary to spill out all my thoughts as I found it hard to talk openly about them.  There was something very satisfying knowing I could lock it up with a little key and no one would be able to read it apart from me.  However, I did stop writing diary entries a long time ago and have never really got back into it so when I saw this task I was intrigued to get back into it but also a bit anxious for some reason!  

It did take me a while to get into the hang of it but once I had written a few entries I realised it is actually quite nice to get my thoughts and feelings onto paper.

Let's face it, we all have a lot to think about and get stressed from time to time so this is a good way to make a bit of room so everything doesn't get on top of you!

I am someone who likes to plan things and write lists of lists of lists!! But at the end of the day that's all they are....lists! They are very brief and to the point and this journal task is interesting as it is making me write about things in more depth enabling me to reflect more on emotions and events!

There are many different purposes of writing a journal and Moon and Boud identify these purposes in the quotes below:


"Journal writing can be used to enhance what we do and how we do it" - David Boud

"To deepen the quality of learning, in the form of critical thinking or developing a questioning attitude" - Moon (1999a, pp. 188-194)

"To enable learners to understand their own learning process" - Moon (1999a, pp. 188-194)

"To enhance professional practice or the professional self in practice" - Moon (1999a, pp. 188-194)


Writing in a journal is a new method of reflection for me but I will be taking these purposes into consideration as I continue to write more entries into my journal. I hope this will be a new successful method for me which will help me to learn and re-evaluate events and situations in order for me to become a better performer.

No comments:

Post a Comment