Tuesday 5 January 2016

Critical Reflection on my Learning Experience in Module Three

Critical Reflection

Introduction
I feel the Inquiry process has been very challenging, but rewarding.  I have learnt a lot about my Inquiry topic and how I can enhance my own practice as well as learning the key fundamental tools needed in order to carry out an Inquiry. 

What have I learnt through the Inquiry Process?
I feel all modules have equipped me with the knowledge, tools, theories and methods needed in order for me to carry out my Professional Inquiry.  It has been very rewarding to be able to combine everything I have learnt on the course and put it all into practice, as well as explore and develop a topic I am passionate about.  

Throughout the course I have learnt how to apply communication technologies, reflective theories and  practice, theories to networking, ethics and practitioner research tools to my own practice as well as learn how to write literature reviews.   I feel all these concepts and tools will aid me in becoming a more knowledgeable Freelance Dancer within the industry and allow me to continue to self-analyse on a regular basis. 

Before the course, I had never written a blog, however I have enjoyed learning how to blog and sharing my findings and ideas with other B.A.P.P students (APPENDIX O) and my tutor (APPENDIX P).  Their responses have been extremely valuable and have contributed in shaping my Inquiry.  Blogging will be a tool I will continue to use throughout my career.
I found the S.I.G (APPENDIX Q) I created on Facebook was not as successful as I had first hoped.  I feel this is because each student is focussing on their own topic and I was not familiar with anyone exploring a similar topic to myself.  However, alongside blogging, my professional network have been extremely helpful by consenting to participate in my Practitioner Research and Professional Artefact, as well as show their support and inspire my thinking and ideas for my Inquiry topic

My journal, which I started in Module One, has been a beneficial reflective tool throughout the Inquiry process and is a tool I will continue to incorporate into my every day practice as it is an effective way to document and reflect.  

I leant in Module One, that I learnt best body kinaesthetically.  This means I obtain the best results through a “hands on” approach.  Therefore, conducting the interviews (APPENDIX R) and the focus group (APPENDIX S) for my Inquiry was an effective method of learning as well as getting the opportunity to speak with professionals within my professional community.  In Appendix R and S you can see how I colour codes each theme to help analyse them.
Their answers have been extremely valuable in developing my thinking and knowledge of the Freelance Dance industry.  Their responses have given me an insight into what employers look for at an audition and the other Freelance Dancers who participated in the focus group have also expressed their views on the industry and given advice and raised issues.  This gave me a platform in which to explore further ideas, which in turn, contributed to moulding my Inquiry, helping me to become a more knowledgeable performer. 

Through carrying out the practitioner research, I have learnt the skills needed to organise an Interview and a Focus Group as well as the knowledge and skills needed to plan a professional research project.   

Ethics have been a key focus throughout the course.  I have now learnt how to carry out an Inquiry safely and professionally.  I have also been made aware of the issues and concerns surrounding ethics in the workplace and the ethics of using participants in an Inquiry process. 
  
Conclusion
I will be sharing my findings from my inquiry through my Professional Artefact which is in the form of an Audio-Visual clip.  I decided on this form of medium so that it can be accessed easily by other Freelance Dancers through the internet and social media. 

Before starting the B.A.P.P Arts course self-analysis was an element I did not incorporate in to my practice.  However, I now realise its importance and how essential it is to continually analyse where I am in my practice and what I can do to improve my practice. The entrepreneur always searches for change, responds to it and exploits it as an opportunity. (Drucker, P. 1985, p.5).  This in turn will ensure I continually grow and develop as a Freelance Dancer.  

1 comment:

  1. very helpful synopsis Sian - the idea of an entrepreneur suits your topic and the realisation if a 'hands on' approach

    ReplyDelete